Manalive!

Once upon a time there was a man who was alive.

Name:
Location: Hattiesburg, Mississippi, United States
St. Cuthbert and Disciples in a Boat

11.4.03

What I'm Reading



From my book-piles (I've only a small bookcase, so most of my volumes are in cluttery little piles stacked along or near my reading-chair or bedside):

Flora Britannica , by Richard Mabey: this is a fine little- actually quite large- tome of British trees and herbs, with grand colour plates. Quite a few of the plants detailed in the flora have either made it over here by human agency or are natives both here and across the Pond.

John Cassian,The Institutes: I have only set into the first chapter and a half or so, but it's quite an enjoyable read. I must confess that I have never imagined ordinary clothing to be capable of having such Scriptural significance as Cassian records, in regards to the garb of Egyptian monks.

The Celtic Monk: Rules and Writings of Early Irish Monks: Many wonderful gems in this little anthology of Irish monastic writings. I am particularly fond of the poems and litanies therein- my sentiments and theirs are remarkably close. I should like to think I have inherited some of the Celtic spirit, even if the idea is romantic folly and easily dismissed by phsycological factors.

From Glory to Glory; Texts From Gregory of Nyssa's Mystical Writings: Gregory is fascinating, though I find myself scratching my head at some of his exegesis! However, there are some wonderful selections contained therein.

Golden-mouth: The Story of John Chrysostom--Ascetic, Preacher, Bishop, by J.N.D. Kelly: I like Chrysostom- he was of the sort we in the South would call a character. I am as yet only half way through his life. I shall likely go back through it again in the near future, as I read a good deal whilst engaging in personal ascetics a few weeks back in the partially untamed wilderness of nearby DeSoto National Forest. Reading by a pale halo of flourescent lantern and flickering campfire is not of the most enviable sort.

Letters Concerning the Holy Spirit, by Saint Athanasius: I must admit that my understanding, and indeed my thought, of the Holy Spirit has tended towards one of poverty- a terrible thing, and something I have begun attempting to rectify: and Saint Athanasius is providing ample aid.

The Contra Amatores Mundi of Richard Rolle of Hampole: A wonderful little book- I shall perhaps expound it further, with some quotes, on a later day.

The Brothers Karamazov: My second reading now, this is, I think, one of my favorite pieces of fiction. Magnificent, magnificent.

Apostolic Fathers, Volume I: Lastly but certainly not least, this little volume- compact, pocket sized, which fact has brought it along afield with me- I have enjoyed immensly, particularly- mostly- St. Ignatius. "It is better for a man to be silent and be [a Christian], than to talk and not to be one. It is good to teach, if he who speaks also acts. There is then one Teacher, who spake and it was done"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home