Manalive!

Once upon a time there was a man who was alive.

Name:
Location: Hattiesburg, Mississippi, United States
St. Cuthbert and Disciples in a Boat

21.9.05

Springtime in September

Classes resumed Monday and things are returning to normal here. Traffic is the greatest headache common to all now, as there are still many utility and military vehicles around, along with the many people who have removed- perhaps permanently- from the Coast and New Orleans. I am glad to be back in class; our schedule has been modified, of course, but it's quite tolerable. Carey operates on a trimester system, with week long breaks between trimesters, which we will lose this year, leaving Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Spring breaks intact.

The damage and destruction from the storm is still sharply evident; I suppose much of it will remain for years to come. One thing that has taken by surprise is the response of the natural world to the storm. The heavy winds managed to strip many decidious trees of their leaves, so much that after the storm much of South Mississippi looked like it normally does in the winter (most of our oaks tend to retain their leaves, albiet in a brown whithered form, all through the winter; and quite a few of them held on through the hurricane). But now, nearly a month afterwards, the trees are glowing with fresh new growth. If you were to drive across South Mississippi you would think it was springtime, with so many of the forests aburst with that particular bright fresh green of March and Paril (down here anyway!). The bradford pears, most of which were beaten up pretty badly, are making a second run of blooms. The miles and miles of splintered trees are now softened by a hurricane-wrought second springtime. Beauty from ashes, I suppose.

4 Comments:

Blogger Seraphim said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Seraphim said...

WCC? I thought you were going to MC. Not that there is anything wrong with my old Alma Mater (wcc).

I and a couple of other folks at Holy Resurrection check out your blog from time to time, and if you went to MC we figured you might have visited at some point and we would have gotten to meet you and have a little fellowship after Divine Liturgy.

I've not posted on my blog (exit east) in the past few months...I guess I have less to say than I once thought I did...that or the novelty wore off, or both.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

I had actually considered going to Belhaven, but WCC proved cheaper, and as my family is a bit pressed for funds right now, the economic choice trumped. Blame it on Bush and the evil Republicans or something... Of course, there's no Orthodox presence down here; I am going to meet with Fr. John of the Antiochian congregation sometime soon and discuss Orthodoxy further.

If I had a job I would come up there on occasion. I might get a job next trimester; I would now except that I have a lot of stuff to write and read and all that, and it's good to sleep sometimes. Heh.

12:37 AM  
Blogger Seraphim said...

I understand the economics of it all, to be sure. From what I understand from His grace Archbishop Dimitri, that once the McComb parish is up and running in another year or so the next target area for a mission might well be Hattiesburg, God willing, esp somewhere near Southern.

Fr. John is a very good priest and he was part of that Campus Crusade/Vineyard denomination that converted en masse...he really knows the kind of questions that harry the evangelical mind.

He was my first priestly contact as well. I raided his parish bookstore about 10years ago and he gave me almost as much extra as I bought. He was the first one I told I wanted to become Orthodox after some weeks reading. And He told me no. I was living overseas at the time and could not take part in any parish life or be catechized.

He was very gracious and helpful, put my name in the litany of inquierers, but let me know in no uncertain terms that with Orthodoxy there is no just walking the aisle. That as much as anything else underscored for me that this was nothing like changing from Baptist to Methodist (which I've done before), how serious a decision I would be asked to make when the day came. His refusal was absolutely the right thing...and it cemented me when the day came 3 years later that I could be received within Orthodoxy. I highly recommend his counsel.

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home